Sign in / Join

Judge sentences man to 100 years following sexual assault, kidnapping conviction

Daniel M. Garcia, 27, of the 3200 block of West Evergreen Avenue, is charged with kidnapping, aggravated criminal sexual assault and vehicular hijacking in connection to Friday’s incident (Cook County Sheriff’s photo)

A Humboldt Park neighborhood man who prosecutors said kidnapped and sexually assaulted a woman before driving her home and giving her his cellphone number has been sentenced to 100 years in prison.

Daniel M. Garcia was convicted in February 2017 of multiple counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault and aggravated kidnapping after a jury trial, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office said.

On Friday, Cook County Circuit Court Judge Kevin Sheehan handed Garcia, who is now 30, the 100-year sentence during a hearing at the Leighton Criminal Court Building.

The charges stemmed from an October 2014 attack on a woman who prosecutors at the time said had attended a fashion show and after party in downtown Chicago.

She left with a friend and they stopped to get gas en route to the friend’s lakeshore home in Wisconsin, prosecutors said during his bail hearing in October, 2014.

The male friend entered the station to purchase some items, while the woman was looking at her cellphone in the car. Suddenly Garcia, of the 3200 block of West Evergreen Avenue, entered the car and sped away, prosecutors said at the time.

The victim tried to stop the car, grabbing the steering wheel, but Garcia punched her in the face, prosecutors said. The victim’s nails were broken as she tried to ward off Garcia’s punches with her hands, according to prosecutors.

Garcia took the woman’s cellphone and told her he had a gun and that he was supposed to kill her, prosecutors said at his bail hearing.

“I’m part of a cartel,” Garcia told her, according to police reports.

Garcia drove around with the woman, who lives in a southwest suburb and was unfamiliar with the area, prosecutors said.

After she pleaded with him not to rape her, Garcia parked the car in an isolated area and choked the woman before sexually assaulting her, prosecutors said.

He then drove her to her home, stopping at an Orland Park bank to take $100 out of an ATM with the woman’s debit card, prosecutors said.

“We can work this out,” Garcia told the woman, according to court records.

He then put his number in her cellphone, told her, “I’ll see you tomorrow,” and drove away in her car, prosecutors said.

When she got into her home, the woman told her roommate what had happened and the police were called.